Public Health encompasses many health care services for you and your family, some of which include:
- Learning for Life
- Homemaker Program
- EPSDT/Child Health/Hawki
- Blood Lead Testing
- Smoking Cessation
- Blood Pressure Checks
- Immunization Program
- Iowa Breast & Cervical Cancer Program
- Maternal Health
- Vaccines for Adults
Our offices are located at 2712 12th Street in Harlan.
Call 712-755-4308 for more information.
Learning For Life and Kid’s Korner
Learning for Life and the Kid’s Korner program are offered through Myrtue Medical Center’s Department of Community Health. Would you like to:
- Give your child the best possible start in life
- Give your child a solid foundation for school success
- Increase your confidence and knowledge of child development and parenting skills
- Share experiences and receive support from other families with young children.
The programs are primarily funded through the Tri-County (Harrison, Monona, and Shelby Co.) Early Childhood Iowa Project. The Learning for Life program follows the Parents as Teachers curriculum and it is designed to offer developmental information and support to all parents of infants and young children (prenatal to kindergarten entry).
Learning for Life provides:
- Personalized home visits with a specially-trained parent educator
- Health & developmental screening for your child
- Group meetings for you & your family
- Instruction on child nutrition and family budgeting
- Help with understanding your child’s behavior
- Information about & referral to other community services
- Free books and toys.
The Kid’s Korner program is an incentive program where the parents earn points for healthy activities such as well child visits, library time, and education and they can use those points to purchase items for their child. Items include and vary: car seats, diapers, home safety supplies, baby equipment, and developmental toys. In addition, we also have two certified passenger safety technicians who can help and answer your car seat questions and installation needs with you.
If you have any questions or would like to join and you live in Shelby County (no income qualifications apply!), please call Joan at 712.755.4422 – we would love to sign you up or answer any questions that you might have.